5 Questions To Ask Your Florist When Planning A Wedding
Flowers can make or break the ambiance at a wedding. They can tie together details, conveying a beautiful message, or they can be underwhelming. That’s why couples who want to plan an unforgettable event must put some real effort into choosing a florist. A good florist will select stems, arrange bouquets and create designs to accentuate any theme or color scheme associated with your wedding. A florist’s experience level also could impact how smoothly the setup and take down of flowers go.
The bottom line is, if you want to be wowed with the flowers at your wedding, take the time to interview a few florists and know what you’re getting for your investment. Here are a few key questions to ask:
- How many weddings have you done? Learning about a florist’s experience level can be particularly revealing in terms of expectations. A florist who can show you an extensive portfolio of work will boost your confidence in that florist’s ability to handle your event. You’ll also want to find out how many other events the florist will be managing in addition to yours on your special day. Will you have the florist’s undivided attention, or could there be some details that fall victim to oversight? On the other hand, if florists are newer to the industry, you’ll have to ask yourself whether you’re comfortable giving that individual so much power over your wedding day. Are you willing to trust your flowers to someone who’s only done a few weddings?
- How much do your services cost? The best wedding florist may or may not be the most or least expensive. There is, of course, more to a florist’s value than price, but you do need someone who fits your budget. Find out upfront what kind of price range the florist works within. This way, you can be sure to pick someone who matches your needs.
- What flowers will be in season? You may love a certain species of flower, but if your wedding date falls at a time when that flower’s not in season, its availability locally may be impacted. The cost likely will rise if the blooms must be imported. You thus will want to ask your florist about seasonality upfront. Professional florists know which blooms are available when, as well as how to get out-of-season flowers when necessary.
- What services can you provide? Some florists will manage every detail of your wedding flowers, from the initial consultation with you about colors and bloom varieties to the after-reception takedown of all wedding decor. Others won’t handle setup and breakdown, which means you’ll have a little more on your plate. Be sure you get a clear understanding of what services the florist does or doesn’t offer, so you’re not caught unaware with logistical complications on your wedding day.
- Do you have any references I can contact? When you’re still on the fence about which florist to choose, a lot of knowledge can be gained by talking to past customers. With firsthand information about a florist’s performance, you’ll have a better idea of what to expect on your wedding day. So ask the florists you’re most interested in using if you can contact references from previous weddings. Pay close attention to what they have to say, asking how the florist handled any problematic issues and/or special requests.
Finding the right florist is critical for a memorable wedding. To choose the right one, know what to ask when trying to determine the best fit. Start with the questions above, and for even more ideas, print out this infographic by new york city flowers company Scotts Flowers NYC, and you’ll know you’ve done everything in your power to select the best florist for your event.